RainReady℠ is a trademarked initiative of the Center for Neighborhood Technology, a national nonprofit headquartered in Chicago. RainReady help people manage flooding and drought in a time of climate change. There’s no one-size-fits-all approach to becoming RainReady, and we fully expect that your approach will be shaped to meet your needs. The factsheets, photos, and videos on this site are available for you to use in community meetings or to show friends.
MeterSave is a free program offered by the City of Chicago Department of Water Management to non-metered Chicago homeowners to voluntarily install meters to help them save water and save money. Homeowners participating in MeterSave will be eligible for a 7-year guarantee that the home water bill will be no higher than it would have if the meter had not been installed. Interested homeowners may visit www.metersave.org to complete a quick and easy online registration, call 311 or billing and customer service at 312-744-4H2O.
indicates community project
Ways to live green
- Drink tap water.
- Wash clothes with cold water.
- Fill the dishwasher before running it.
- Prevent hair from clogging drains by using a hair catcher.
- If you live in a home built before 1986, it may have lead pipes. Get tested.
- Get a free water meter for your home.
- Disconnect your downspout and install a rain barrel.
- Check out more ideas for saving water.
- Measure your water imprint.