The City's Blue Cart program provides bi-weekly recycling services to single family homes and multi-unit buildings with four or fewer units. By recycling regularly, you can help reduce the need for landfills, lower disposal costs, reduce pollution, and conserve natural resources, such as timber, water, and minerals. If you find that you need an additional blue cart, please call 311 to request one.
Zero Waste Chicago was founded in 2017 by three friends when they saw the need for accessible and centralized resources for living a low-waste lifestyle in Chicago... We are an environmental organization that offers resources and education to increase awareness of alternatives to the traditional waste stream.
Waste + Recycling Projects
indicates community project
Ways to live green
- Keep our streets and sewers clean—avoid littering.
- Buy used items, and upcycle and donate older items as much as possible.
- Check Chicago’s recycling guidelines.
- Use reusable bottles, Tupperware, utensils (even straws!).
- Just say no to wrapping paper with glitter.
- Call 311 for free pick-up services: yard waste, appliances & furniture.
Did You Know?: The City of Chicago offers free mulch from your yard waste.
- FYI: If you live in a residential building with 4 units or fewer, your recycling provider is the City of Chicago's Streets and Sanitation Waste Management. Larger buildings use a third party contractor. Recycling rules vary by company. Popular local providers: