- Turn off lights in any rooms you’re not in.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs.
- Set your thermostat as high as possible during summer.
- Improve energy efficiency at home by properly weatherizing and insulating.
- Invest in solar panels.
Waste + Recycling
- Keep our streets and sewers clean—avoid littering.
- Buy used items, and upcycle and donate older items as much as possible.
- Check Chicago’s recycling guidelines.
- Use reusable bottles, Tupperware, utensils (even straws!).
- Just say no to wrapping paper with glitter.
- Call 311 for free pick-up services: yard waste, appliances & furniture.
Did You Know?: The City of Chicago offers free mulch from your yard waste.
- FYI: If you live in a residential building with 4 units or fewer, your recycling provider is the City of Chicago's Streets and Sanitation Waste Management. Larger buildings use a third party contractor. Recycling rules vary by company. Popular local providers:
- Drink tap water.
- Wash clothes with cold water.
- Fill the dishwasher before running it.
- Prevent hair from clogging drains by using a hair catcher.
- If you live in a home built before 1986, it may have lead pipes. Get tested.
- Get a free water meter for your home.
- Disconnect your downspout and install a rain barrel.
- Check out more ideas for saving water.
- Measure your water imprint.
- Skip the car, save on gas, and support the Chicago Transit Authority.
- Buy local: Not only is buying local a great way to support area businesses, it is a simple way to decrease your carbon footprint! Your carbon footprint includes the supply chain process of goods you purchase.
- Opt to take public transit, bike, and walk as often as you can.